- JOB SUMMARY: The Cook will prepare all food items in accordance with recipes and directives provided by both the Room Chef and Sous Chef. Consistently ensures the cleanliness and sanitation of work areas and equipment in accordance with Health Department standards.
- Scope: Consistently and safely execute all menu items according to approved recipes and proper cooking techniques.
- Responsible to: Room Chef
- Follow recipes, measurements, quantities, and other information so each menu item can be duplicated consistently.
- Actively participate in training, become familiar with each recipe, and ensure recipe adherence.
- Uphold the standard kitchen operating procedures on a consistent basis.
- Ensure all prep items and recipes are made to approved standards.
- Breakdown prep areas at the end of each meal period and ensure proper product storage.
- Inspect food preparation, and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food handling practices.
- Position, arrange, and garnish food according to recipe.
- Collect food requisitions from commissary as directed.
- Make certain all product is placed and restocked in designated areas.
- Report any product or stock needs immediately to kitchen management.
- Maintain a solid knowledge of all food products and ensure all products are properly rotated.
- Immediately report any malfunctions of equipment to ensure optimum operation and minimal down time.
- Properly label and date all products to ensure safekeeping and sanitation.
- Safely use all kitchen equipment, cleaning, and sanitizing products in accordance with all SDS sheets and departmental standards.
- To provide BIG Service to internal guests and ensure their complete satisfaction, inclusive of greeting and interacting with guests in a friendly and enthusiastic manner, anticipating and meeting guest needs and preferences, remaining calm and professional when dealing with guests that are difficult or upset.
- The ability to develop and maintain professional, trusting, and positive working relationships with managers, supervisors, staff, coworkers, guests, and vendors.
- The ability and willingness to ensure that work activities are completed accurately, efficiently, and in a timely manner.
- The ability to work safely. This includes clearly understanding and following company safety policies and procedures, completing work in a safe manner, caring about safety of self and others, responding appropriately in an emergency, and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Maintain regular attendance at scheduled shift and staff meetings.
- Maintain professionalism and a friendly and approachable demeanor throughout the workday.
- Assist with training/mentoring of new team members as requested.
- Maintain all appearance standards in accordance with established uniform and appearance guidelines.
- Inform manager on duty of any irregularities and unusual situations when they occur.
- Ability to keep a friendly, calm, and helpful demeanor in high-stress situations and a continuously fast-paced environment.
- Is honest in all interactions and displays a high degree of integrity.
- Ability to work independently with little to no supervision or as part of a team is required.
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
KEY SUCCESS INDICATORS: Possess a positive attitude and work well with others. Demonstrate a commitment to the team by reporting to work on time and as scheduled.
OTHER DUTIES: The content of this job description does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time to include special projects.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Cook experience preferred but not required.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must pass all required pre-screening and background checks.
- Internal candidates must have been in their current position for at least six months and have no active disciplinary action during the last six months.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, this includes day, swing, late-night, weekend, and holiday shifts as scheduled.
- Must be able to obtain required work cards, and non-gaming registration as required by the local jurisdiction.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS: The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to move in and around the work area throughout the entire workday.
- Must be able to sit, stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to repeat the same movements.
- Must be able to engage and interact with all guests appropriately and work well under the pressure of a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to successfully communicate on a regular basis with all co-workers, vendors, and guests both in person and over the telephone.
- Must be able to answer all inquiries and provide assistance and information in a professional and accurate manner.
- Must be able to access and interpret information on computer screens.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, twist, balance, and work the entire property; to include the ability to tolerate changes in temperature, frequent immersion of hands in water, cleaning, and sanitizing solutions.
- Must be able to work in an environment where smoking is permitted and can be loud with guest chatter, overhead music, and live entertainment.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and respond to visual and aural cues.
- Requires the ability to distinguish letters or symbols and eye hand coordination.
The content of this job description does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
The job description reflects the assignment of the essential functions of the current position but does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. The essential functions are specified but are subject to change at any time for various reasons, including management discretion.
The Mint Gaming Hall at Kentucky Downs reserves the right to make changes to the job description whenever necessary.
The Mint Gaming Hall at Kentucky Downs is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.